Photo Story

I wondered how I would fit an entire life into a backpack” Audrey Moyo

Born in Bulawayo, located in the southwest of Zimbabwe, Audrey Moyo's hometown is famously known as the city of kings, and the spoken language is Ndebele. Growing up Audrey also spoke Shona, which is the language her family members speak at home. 

Audrey grew up with her older sister and her grandmother, who supported her along the way. She studied at a boarding school in Zimbabwe, crafting her way to college, where she studied Geomatics for three years.

When Audrey decided to become an international student and move to the United States, she knew she would need to sacrifice time with family and friends. The memories and a few pictures would fit the backpack. Audrey says, “Staring at my favorite Sunday dresses, comfortable casual clothes, letters, gift cards, and all the other sentimental belongings I had which defined me. How could I possibly leave all this behind? These were not only pieces of my life but myself and a sense of belonging which was home”. 


On March 16, 2023, Audrey Moyo's portrait at LBCC White Oak Hall, located on the Albany campus.

"Packing made me realize that to best prepare for the new and unknown, I had to let go of the old known and make room" Audrey Moyo


Audrey moved to the United States to study and live with her uncle. She’s majoring in mathematics at Linn-Benton Community College. Currently, one of her fun activities is the Yoga class on campus with Mr. Subbappa Ribeiro. At home, she enjoys her uncle’s company and care, they both had to make room for this relationship. Together, they enjoy watching football games. They’re Seattle Seahawks fans. 

Audrey brought her purest form of personality, kindness, and respect for people. In this new experience, she discovers that she’s an introvert. Although it has been difficult to make friends in a foreign country, she discovered her determination and resilience. Audrey says, “American culture can be too fast and isolating. Be persistent, there is no room for failure”. 


On March 10, Audrey Moyo practice yoga during Mr. Subbappa Ribeiro's class at the LBCC Albany Campus. Audrey decided to try a new thing by enrolling in this class

“This is truly a journey. I'm living in a community where I barely see another person that looks like me” Audrey Moyo

Despite the challenges and adaptation to a new language and culture, Audrey is currently engaged in multiple activities outside of the classroom. She’s a part-time worker for the LBCC Student Life & Leadership office. Also, an International Student Ambassador on campus responsible for organizing events and connecting the international students' community at LBCC. Additionally, she will be joining the 2023-2024 Student Leadership Council team as the Financial Director. 

This has been a learning experience, the one she planned and was excited about. Audrey says, “Sitting on the window seat in the airplane, I couldn’t help myself but smile at the beauty of mother nature as I viewed the sky. Looking at the curves and folds of the Earth reminded me that in the past, the present, or the future,  life will always have straight and crocked”.


On March 10, 2023, the students Vitoria Mingola, Rino Tanahara, and Audrey Moyo meet to decorate the LBCC International Admissions office and plan future events on the Albany campus.

“I took the opportunity not realizing how much I was leaving behind” Bre Tainatongo 

Bre Tainatongo was born in Malesso’, located in the south of Guam, or Guåhan, in the CHamoru language meaning: the native people of Guam. 

Surrounded by water, Bre lived an island life back home. The beach, sunsets, warm weather, great food, and language were symbols of family and friends. Bre says, “Everywhere I go, I bring the CHamoru culture and hospitality. It’s in everything I do”.

She was 17 years old, two days past her high school graduation, when she decided to move to the United States to look for new beginnings out of the island. She wanted to be more exposed to a diverse culture other than Asian, and find more job opportunities. Her older sister offered her a place to live in Nevada. 

Along the way, she discovered her individuality and how much she valued her culture. Bre says, “Before surrounded by what felt like a million family members, now narrowed down to one, no friends, no familiar places, no late-night drives to my favorite restaurant Fugi Ichiban”. It was a new reality, and she had to adapt to it. Battling homesickness, she discovered that home is not a place, but rather a feeling.  


On March 14, 2023, Bre Tainatongo portrait at Albany Downtown.

 "I brought my culture and started showing it to others. It made me feel better. It made me feel proud" Bre Tainatongo 

Eventually moving to Oregon, she opened her business at the age of 22, the MongoTongo art. It was a way to feel more connected to home and her people. Guam has always been an inspiration for her, and she started creating products such as stickers, key chains, notepads, journals, folders, and earrings, reflecting her culture. Bre says, “Creating these things made me realize my love for graphic design and art”.  


Bre Tainatongo walks at Monteith RiverPark, in Albany Oregon on March 12, 2023. Bre says that the water reminds her of Guam, which reminds her earliest memories in the water. She feels connected to the water

"Once I started realizing how much this world has to offer, I was humbled by my experience of being able to leave” Bre Tainatongo 

 At LBCC, Bre is pursuing a Graphic Design degree. In September 2022, she reactivated the Graphic Visual Arts club, along with other students interested in visual arts. As a student representative, she plans meetings and activities for the group. Also, she’s a part-time worker for the LBCC Admissions office. In addition, she’s part of the Student Leadership Council as Campus Outreach Director. Some of her tasks include creating posters, advertising events, and writing for the Commuter, the school magazine, on behalf of the SLC. 


Bre Tainatongo and Sena Kise, Graphic Design students work on a bottle design project for the 3D packaging and design class at Linn-Benton Community College, in Albany, Oregon on March 15, 2023. Bre designs the bottle in memory of her father, Mark Tainatongo.


Comments

Popular Posts